Hilary Gauld-Camilleri views life through a lens that sees straight to the heart; so it’s no surprise that her photography illuminates the unique spirit of each client.
Following a passion for truth in storytelling, Hilary graduated from the University of Western Ontario in 1998 with a Bachelor of Arts in Film and then from Sheridan College with a post-graduate diploma in Journalism. She worked at local community television stations and TV Western in pursuit of her ultimate goal of becoming a news anchor.
Upon graduation, Hilary took a full-time position with the sales team at Labatt Breweries of Canada. She fell in love with corporate sales, enjoying the relationships she formed with her clients. Hilary’s outstanding communication and interpersonal skills were quickly recognized and she soon became Territorial Manager for the Kitchener-Waterloo area; a position she held for just over eight years before leaving the corporate world in order to nurture, guide and cherish her two young girls.
Though she treasured the time with her children, it took only four weeks for Hilary to realize how much she missed daily interaction with clients and colleagues. After some deliberation, and acknowledging her aptitude with a camera and people, she launched a family portrait photography business.
In December 2008, One for the Wall Photography was born.
Photography became Hilary’s new storytelling tool, allowing her to weave tales of individuality and relationships through artful images. Still the full-time caregiver, at first she limited herself to two sessions per week; but as her client base grew, she could not deny her passion and creativity. The business flourished into a successful full-time enterprise and continues to become more robust with each passing season.
Hilary has become an award-winning and highly sought family photographer while also developing an impressive commercial portfolio that includes a diverse collection of work for corporations, actors and singers. She has also been featured on many photography-related blogs. Most recently she won best photographer and best photography studio in her region’s annual Reader’s Choice Awards.
Awards and recognition:
- National Association of Professional Child Photographers “International Image Competition” winner (1 first place, 1 third place and 4 Merits).
- Best Photographer/Best Photography Studio The Records Annual Readers Choice Awards
Commissioned commercial work includes:
- Nation-wide Nikon television campaign
- Walmart Canada Pharmacy Centres
- Steeped Tea Product Catalogue 2011 and 2012
- Manulife Financial Corporate Photography – ongoing
- Tinyprints, a division of Shutterfly
A few clients of note:
- AJ Bridel and Cassandra Hodgins – contestants, Over the Rainbow, 2012.
- Kirsten Moore-Towers and Dylan Moscovitch – 2011 Canadian Pairs Figure Skating Champions
- Jamie Shultz - Mary Poppins at Dunfield Theatre, 2013 season.
- Conor Bergauer – 10-year old Tommy at Stratford Festival, 2013 season.
- David Johnson – Governor General of Canada, for NOW Magazine.
- Canadian Country Music Awards 2011 – Gift Lounge Photographer in partnership with Angela Smith Photography and Fronte and Sentre Communications.
- You – her favourite luminary of all.
Hilary demonstrates that sharing one’s natural gifts with the world is the right thing to do. Hilary co-chairs a local women’s business networking group that helps support, guide and educate women in business. She also volunteers her time to make the amazing young singers of KW Glee feel like the rock stars they are, with creative headshots, concert stills and backstage action shots. To top it off, countless hours of her time are devoted to a non-profit organization called Another Door Opens, which she launched in 2011 to capture new memories for families living with the loss of a young spouse, mother, father or child.
This outstanding photographer will only grow more exceptional as she looks for learning opportunities and challenges herself in every moment; it is how she has become the photographer to learn from, according to her mentees.
Hilary lives in Waterloo, Ontario with her husband of eleven years, her two beautiful girls and her adorable Lhasa-poodle.